Choosing a wedding photographer can be a difficult decision during your wedding planning journey. There are a few steps to take when looking at how to choose a wedding photographer and one of those is to interview those you have shortlisted.
Knowing exactly what questions to ask wedding photographers is not something you are expected to know. To help you in your decision-making, we are sharing some of the best questions to ask your potential wedding photographer.
These essential questions will help you make that important decision with confidence, knowing that you haven’t missed anything.
- Availability and Pricing
- Style and Experience
- Wedding Day
- After the Wedding
- Personal Fit
- Final Step
Availability and Pricing
The first questions you should ask a professional photographer are if they are available on your wedding date and their prices. You will want to ask these questions in your initial meeting to find out how much impact their services will be on your wedding budget.
- Are you available for our wedding date?
- What wedding packages are available?
- What is the number of hours that are included in each package?
- Is there an additional charge for any additional hours worked?
- Can we customize the packages?
- Is there a travel fee to be aware of?
- Are there any other additional fees I should be aware of?
- Do you include engagement photos or other wedding events like rehearsal dinners in your packages or as an extra charge?
Style and Experience
To get a better understanding of the professional wedding photographer it is always good to ask them about their experience and even if they can provide some examples of their work.
- How many years of experience do you have as a wedding photographer?
- How many weddings have you photographed?
- Have you had experience at our wedding venue before?
- Have you had much experience with outdoor weddings?
- Do you have a portfolio of wedding photos or an online gallery I can look at?
- Do you create albums as part of your packages and if so, can we see some album designs?
- Would you be able to provide a list of references, full galleries, or a link to reviews?
- What sets you apart from other wedding photographers?
- What is your wedding photography style?
- Do you photograph weddings using film or digital?
- What type of equipment do you use?
- Do you specialize in indoor or outdoor events?
- What is your working style?
- Are you comfortable with and work well with wedding videographers?
- Are you comfortable with and work well with wedding coordinators?
Knowing how the prospective wedding photographer will operate on the day of your wedding is important to ask. You want to make sure that you know what type of group photos or shot list they plan on doing and how they plan to work on the day.
Capturing your first dance as a wedding couple or making sure you have a picture with a specific family member are some of the best shots you will want to make a note of.
- Will you be the photographer who will shoot my wedding?
- Will you have a second photographer or assistant?
- What is the backup plan if you are unable to shoot my wedding for an unexpected reason?
- What time will you arrive at the site?
- Are you photographing other weddings on the same date?
- Are there any restrictions on others taking photos?
- What shots would you plan on taking?
- Can we provide a list of specific shots we would like taken?
- Will you bring any lighting for inside or at night shots?
- Do you have backup equipment?
- Do you want our caterer to provide a meal, and are there any dietary requirements?
- How will you be dressed?
- Do you need any information from me before the wedding day?
After the Wedding
When deciding on a potential photographer and the types of packages they offer, there are important questions to ask regarding exactly what you will receive. You don’t want to find out that certain things are not included or that you missed out on getting the best photographs of your big day. So asking a list of questions to know exactly what you will receive after the wedding is something you should do.
- When will we have our first wedding photographs?
- Will we get a sneak peek early on of a few photos?
- Are the photographs provided online?
- How long will the full wedding gallery be available online after the wedding?
- Are albums or physical prints included in your packages?
- What type of full wedding albums do you offer?
- Will we select our favorite photos to be part of an album or will you choose them?
- Are physical prints included?
- Do you provide editing services as part of your packages?
- How many edited photos will be provided?
- Will we have access to the full set of unedited photos?
- Will we select our favorite photos to be edited, or will you choose them?
- Will we have the high-resolution images as part of the package, or do we have to pay per photo?
- How long after the wedding will we receive everything?
- Will you post about our wedding on your website or social media?
Before you sign on the dotted line, it is a good idea to know about all the financial policies the photographer has.
- When will we receive a contract?
- When is a deposit due?
- Do you provide any payment plans?
- When is the final balance due?
- What is your cancellation policy?
- What is your refund policy?
- What is your postponement policy?
- Do you have liability insurance?
- Do your associate photographers have insurance?
- Will we have the rights to the images?
- Can our other vendors use the photographs on their websites?
Keep in mind that when selecting a professional wedding photographer you will also need to ask yourself some important questions throughout this wedding planning process. So while asking all of these questions it is important to ask yourself these ones so that you select the best wedding photographer for you.
- Do they communicate well with you?
- Did they listen well?
- Do you feel comfortable with this person being someone who will spend a lot of time around you on your wedding day?
- Do you like the photographer’s work?
Choosing the right wedding photographer is an important decision. This full list of questions to ask wedding photographers should help you find the best photographer for you?
Your wedding day photos will give you a lifetime of memories, which means when choosing the perfect photographer you need to ask the right questions.
Once you have booked the right photographer for your special day you can tick off another important step in your wedding planning journey and possibly move on to choosing other wedding vendors.