When trying to find the best wedding videographer, you will want to ask them important questions that help decide if they are the right person to deliver the memories of your big day.
The following is a comprehensive list of questions to ask wedding videographers before booking them for your dream wedding day.
Availability and Pricing
The first questions to ask a videographer are if they are available on your desired wedding date and if so, what their prices are.
You should also already have a wedding budget with a set amount reserved for a videographer.
This next set of questions is probably the most important to ask when first talking to a videographer over an initial phone call.
- Are you available for our wedding date?
- How far in advance do I need to book your services?
- What is your service charge?
- Do you have any wedding packages?
- What do these fees include?
- What are the number of hours that are included in each package?
- Is there an additional charge for any additional hours worked?
- Can we customize the packages?
- Is there a travel fee to be aware of?
- Are there any other additional fees I should be aware of?
- Do you require a deposit?
- Are you able to work within my budget and price range?
- Are there any other additional costs I should be aware of?
Style and Experience
One of the first things to ask an experienced videographer is if they can provide some examples of their work.
The following questions will help you decide which of the person from the list of potential videographers is the perfect videographer for you.
- How many years of experience have you had performing weddings?
- How many weddings have you done?
- What style of videography do you provide? Such as documentary style, highlight films, or a more general style?
- Do you have sample videos of past weddings you could share with us to see your video style?
- Have you had experience at our wedding venue before with past clients?
- Have you ever worked with my wedding photographer?
- Do you also use a second shooter or a stationary camera?
- Do you use drones as part of your wedding videography packages?
- Do we help with the music selections for our wedding film?
- Can you provide some past references?
- What sets you apart from other wedding videographers?
A good question to find out from the prospective wedding videographer is how they will operate on the day of your wedding.
You want to make sure that you know what type of videos they plan on doing and how they plan to work on the day, especially alongside the photographer.
- Will you be the videographer who will shoot my wedding?
- Will you have a second professional videographer or assistant?
- What is the backup plan if you are unable to shoot my wedding for an unexpected reason?
- What time will you arrive at the site?
- How much time do you need to set up?
- How will you work with my wedding coordinator or wedding planner?
- Are there any restrictions on others taking any kind of video?
- What shots would you plan on taking?
- Can we make sure that you will capture important moments such as the wedding ceremony, first dance, wedding speeches, and cake cutting?
- Do you have backup video equipment?
- Do you want our wedding caterer to provide a meal, and are there any dietary requirements?
- How will you be dressed?
- Do you need any information from me before the wedding day?
After The Wedding
When deciding on a potential videographer and the types of packages they offer, a great question to ask is about what you will receive.
You don’t want to find out that certain things are not included or that you missed out on getting the best videos of your big day. So, the best way is to ask a list of questions to know exactly what you will receive after the special day.
- When will we have our first wedding videos?
- Will we get a sneak peek early on of a few videos?
- Are the videos provided online or delivered on a hard drive?
- Do you provide the editing process as part of your packages?
- How many edited videos will be provided?
- Will we have access to the full set of raw footage?
- How long after the wedding will we receive the final product?
- Will you post our final video on your website or social media?
- Will we have the rights to the final film?
Before you sign on the dotted line and book a professional wedding videographer, it is a good idea to know about the financial policies and payment terms they have.
These basic questions are important to ask to avoid any surprises and select the right videographer.
- When is a deposit due?
- When will we receive a contract?
- What does your contract contain?
- Do you have payment plan options?
- When is the final payment due?
- What is your cancellation policy?
- What is your refund policy?
- What is your postponement policy?
- Do you have liability insurance?
When selecting the best wedding videographer, the last thing you need to do is ask yourself the right questions.
While the talented videographers may be able to deliver a lot of what you ask for, you still need to ask yourself these questions so that you select the best videographer for you.
- Did they communicate well with you?
- Did they listen well?
- Do you like their prior work?
- Does the videographer’s style match your wedding style?
Once you have answers to all these questions, you will be closer to this important decision in your wedding planning process.
The next step as a wedding couple is to look at these answers and decide together which videographer is the perfect fit to deliver the final wedding video that will capture your special moments the best.
Once you have made that final decision you can then move look to finalize some of the other types of wedding vendors.