50 Essential Questions To Ask Wedding DJ Or Band
When trying to choose the right wedding DJ or live band, you want to ask them questions to help you decide if they are the right person to deliver the wedding reception you envision for your big day.
Choosing the right entertainment is important because they help create the atmosphere at your wedding.
The following list of questions will help you select a potential DJ or live band for your dream wedding and leave you feeling confident in your decision.
Availability and Pricing
The first questions you should ask a potential DJ or wedding band are if they are available on your wedding date and what their prices are. At this stage, you should have a wedding budget with a set amount reserved for entertainment. Asking these questions on an initial phone call will help you make an early decision about whether to proceed with the more in-depth questions.
- Are you available for our wedding date?
- How far in advance do I need to book your services?
- What are your fees?
- What do these fees include?
- Do you have any packages?
- Do you charge overtime?
- Are travel expenses included in your fee or is that an extra charge?
- Do you also provide master of ceremonies services?
- Do you require a deposit?
- Are there any other additional fees I should be aware of?
Style and Experience
One of the first things to ask is about their previous experience and possibly if they can provide some videos of their work. The following questions will help you decide which of the prospective DJs and live bands are the perfect choice for you.
- How long have you been performing live music at weddings?
- How many weddings have you done?
- What type of music do you play?
- Do you have a video from a prior wedding that we can view?
- Have you had experience at our reception site before with past clients?
- Can you provide some past references?
- What sets you apart from other wedding bands and DJs?
When looking at booking professional wedding DJs or bands, you will want to dive deep into the style of music they will play and their performance style.
These key questions are aimed to find out exactly what can be delivered for your special day.
- Do you have a recommended go-to song list of wedding songs you play or perform for weddings?
- Can we provide a “do not play” list?
- Can we provide a list of songs we would like to add to your set list?
- Do you perform my processional and recessional music?
- Can you perform specific songs for the first dance and father-daughter dance?
- How many breaks do you take and when?
- What music will be provided during the breaks?
- How do you get the wedding guests to come dance if nobody is?
- Do you take any song requests from our guests?
- Do you have any questions or suggestions for us about the music?
This set of questions is aimed at you having a better idea of how the experienced DJ or wedding band will set up and finish on the wedding day.
- What time will you arrive at the wedding site?
- How much time do you need to set up?
- Will you work with my own wedding venue to find out about installation restrictions?
- Does your own equipment need any certain types of electrics to be provided by the venue or us?
- Is there a backup plan if you or someone from the band is sick or can’t make it?
- Can you help provide a wireless microphone and a sound system for the wedding ceremony?
- Do you have backup equipment?
- How much space do you require for your stage and a dance floor?
- How much time will you need for the breakdown?
- What will you wear to our wedding?
- How many band members are there?
- Do you require a meal?
Before you sign on the dotted line and book the potential DJ or wedding band, it is a good idea to know about the financial policies and payment terms they have. These are some top questions to ask so that there are no surprises done the line.
- When is a deposit due?
- When will we receive a written contract?
- What does your contract contain?
- Do you have a set payment plan?
- When is the final payment due?
- What is your cancellation policy?
- What is your refund policy?
- What is your postponement policy?
- Do you have liability insurance?
When selecting the wedding entertainment, the last thing you will need is to ask yourself some important questions. While the talented DJ or wedding band may be able to deliver a lot of what you ask for, you still need to ask yourself these questions so that you select the best florist for you.
- Did they communicate well with you?
- Did they listen well?
- Do you like their prior work?
- Does their style match your wedding style?
Having answers to all these questions is a great way to get closer to that important decision in your wedding planning process.
As a wedding couple, the next steps are to look at all of these answers and decide together which wedding DJ or band is a good match to deliver those special moments that you will remember forever.
After you have booked one for the event day, you can work towards choosing some of your other wedding vendors.